James E. Shepard
Shareholder & Principal Attorney
" Don't be afraid to give your best to what are seemingly small jobs. Every time you conquer one it makes you that much stronger. If you do the little jobs well, the big ones will tend to take care of themselves. " - Andrew Carnegie
- Business/Corporate Law
- Estate Planning and Administration
- 1983 – State of New Jersey
- 1983 – United States District Court for the District of New Jersey
- 1992 – Supreme Court of the United States of America
- State of New Jersey
- Undergraduate: B.A., Rutgers University, 1980
- Graduate/Law Degree(s): J.D. Cum Laude, New York Law School, 1983
James E. Shepard is a Shareholder of the firm and a Principal Attorney in both the litigation group and estate planning and administration group. Jim’s experience and practice are wide-ranging and includes matters in municipal, civil, chancery, probate, appellate courts and federal courts within New Jersey.
Jim concentrates his practice in estate planning, estate administration, and all areas of civil litigation including business litigation, real estate litigation, and estate/probate litigation. He has appeared and argued before the Supreme Court of New Jersey and appears before and in New Jersey Superior Court (Chancery and Law Divisions), New Jersey Superior Court (Appellate Division), as well as Federal Court.
Jim has also been active in the firm’s real estate, commercial lending, and commercial real estate practice areas. He has provided legal representation in all aspects of residential and commercial real estate inclusive of purchase, sale, refinance, mortgage closing, and leases. He also provides legal representation in commercial transactions, including transactions with significant financial implications.
Jim served as a Municipal Court Judge for Parsippany-Troy Hills throughout 1995 and has also been an adjunct faculty member of Morris County College lecturing in the area of business law. He is currently a member of the Boonton Township Planning Board.
Jim was Law Secretary to Honorable Paul Bangiola, Superior Court from 1983 to 1984. He is a member of the Association of Trial Lawyers of America as well as the Morris County, New Jersey State, and American Bar Associations.
- 1991 – Present – Shareholder and Principal Attorney for Fein, Such, Kahn & Shepard, P.C., Parsippany, NJ
- 1987 – 1991 – Partner for Stirone, Fein, Kahn, Shepard & Day, Esqs., Parsippany, NJ
- 1984 – 1987 – Associate Attorney for Stirone, Fein, Kahn & Blumenstyk, Esqs. Morristown, NJ
- 1983 – 1984 – Law Secretary for Hon. Paul Bangiola, J.S.C., Morris County Court House, Morristown, NJ
- 1995 – Judge Municipal Court for Parsippany-Troy Hills, Parsippany, NJ
- 1988, 1990 – Adjunct Faculty Member for Morris County College, Randolph, NJ
- 1999 – 2005 – Board of Adjustment Member for Boonton Township, NJ
- 2006 – 2019 – Land Use Board Member for Boonton Township, NJ
- Litigation defense of an agent under General Durable Power of Attorney who was also the sole beneficiary and Executrix under a Last Will and Testament. The litigation involved multiple Plaintiffs and allegations seeking to: invalidate beneficiary and transfer on death/payable on death designations; invalidate the Will based upon undue influence, diminished capacity, fraud, deceit, or mistake, and the doctrine of probable intent. This matter litigated in the Probate Part of the Superior Court of New Jersey, resulted in a pre-judgment global settlement with all Plaintiffs and non-Plaintiff interested parties in the estate.
- Litigation defense of the surviving spouse of Decedent who was also a Co-Executor and Beneficiary of the Estate of Decedent. Two adult children of Decedent, by a prior marriage, alleged breach of fiduciary duty, unjust enrichment, negligence, and waste of assets. Discovery and other efforts resulted in a successful resolution in favor of our client that prior to trial in the Law Division of the Superior Court of New Jersey.
- Represented Plaintiff in the Chancery, General Equity Part of the Superior Court of New Jersey in connection with claims against the adult custodian of accounts of the Plaintiff established while Plaintiff was a minor. Claims included intentional interference with and conversion of property and assets, breach of fiduciary duties, intentional and unjustified interference with the contract rights and breach of contract. Written discovery and depositions resulted in this matter being settled prior to trial.
- 1993 – Parsippany Soccer Club – Assistant Coach
- 1994, 1995 – Par-Troy West Little League – Manager
- 1994 – 1996 – Cub Scouts of America, Pack 5m Parsippany, NJ – Den Leader
- 1997 – 2002 – Mountain Lakes – Boonton Soccer – Coach
- 1998 – 1999 – Manager then Coach of the Mountain Lakes – Boonton Baseball
- 2002 – 2005 – Lakers Sports Club, Inc. – Trustee
- 2003 – 2005 – Lakers Sports Club, Inc. – Chairperson Grants Committee
- 2002 – Lakers Sports Club, Inc. – Secretary
- 2003 – Lakers Sports Club, Inc. – Vice President
- 2004 – Lakers Sports Club, Inc. – President
- 2000-2001 – Boonton Township Mountain Lakes Wrestling – Assistant Coach