Eric S. Kapnick
Shareholder & Managing Attorney, Real Estate Group
“The purpose of life is to contribute in some way to making things better.” – Robert Kennedy
- Business/Corporate Law
- Real Estate – both commercial and residential
- Banking Law
- State of New York, 1982
- U.S. District Court, Southern and Eastern Districts of New York, 1983
- State of New Jersey, 1985
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey, 1985
Career & Education
- B.A. Connecticut College, 1977
- J.D. Hofstra School of Law, 1981
- New Jersey Bar Member
- New York Bar Member
Eric S. Kapnick is the Managing Shareholder in charge of the firm’s Real Estate Group, which includes the firm’s commercial and residential real estate, REO, and eviction practice areas. Eric also manages the firm’s human resources department.
Eric Kapnick is the Managing Shareholder of the firm’s Real Estate Group, which includes our Commercial and Residential Real Estate Practice Areas, including REO and Evictions for New Jersey clients, as well as Southern New York clients through Fein, Such & Crane, LLP.
With many decades of experience, Eric has dedicated his career to fully understanding his clients’ goals, providing them with the best possible advice and strategy, and then working tirelessly to achieve the best possible result. The most rewarding aspect of his practice comes at the end of each transaction, when his collaborative approach with clients and colleagues result in a successful outcome, and a very happy and satisfied client.
While client satisfaction is always the ultimate goal, Eric also takes great pride in building strong relationships with his clients. He has a knack for making his clients feel comfortable, knowing that Eric makes their problems his own, and can be trusted to guide them towards a prompt and practical resolution. With a witty sense of humor and a compassionate human touch, Eric treats all clients with the respect and dignity they deserve; that is probably why most of his clients are not only repeat clients, but they are his greatest source of consistent client referrals.
Among Eric’s greatest professional accomplishments was his appointment as the sole representative of the New Jersey Bar to a Special Round Table Committee established by Federal Home Loan Mortgage Corporation, where the committee’s main charter was to develop new closing guidelines and procedures. In addition, he is the co-author of a standardized REO contract utilized by numerous lenders throughout the United States.
- Successfully represents various banks, lenders, buyers, and sellers in large commercial real estate transactions, many exceeding $15-20 million.
- Successfully represents numerous residential buyers and sellers, negotiating and drafting contracts of sale and reviewing and resolving title, land use, and environmental issues.
- Successfully represents numerous buyers and sellers of commercial real estate, negotiating and drafting contracts of sale and reviewing and resolving title, land use, and environmental issues.
- Successfully represents hundreds of banks and other lending institutions making loans for prospective real estate acquisitions and investments.
- Successfully represents various lenders in the sale of REO properties throughout the states of New Jersey and New York.
- Oversees the daily operations of the firm’s Evictions practice.
- Manages the daily operations of the firm’s Human Resources Department.
- Member of the firm since June 2001
- Active member of several Professional REO Organizations
- Speaker and panel member at several real estate conferences, including REOMAC and the Freddie Mac Attorney Summit
- Serves on the Advisory Board of Peapack Gladstone Bank
- Previously served as a member of the attorney advisory board for Weichert Title
- One of three attorneys in the country asked to participate by Freddie Mac when they were creating their website for REO Services
- 1982 Riverbay Corporation – in-house/labor law counsel
- 1983 – 1985 – Bitner & Haft Law Firm
- 1985 – 1987 Cummins, Dunn, and Pashmann
- 1987 – 2001 – Partner at Stern Lavinthal (formerly called Stern, Levinthal, Frankenberg, Norgaard, and Kapnick)
- Coached sports in Randolph, NJ (boys ice hockey, boys lacrosse, boys travel soccer, girls lacrosse, girls rec basketball)
- Plays in a softball league for those 35 years of age and older
- Avid dog lover
- Married 36 years with three children